Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ad Hoc

FINALLY after seven months of patience my library hold of Thomas Keller's ad hoc at home finally came to fruition.  After flipping through the whole book I have to admit it's probably not something I will add to my permanent cookbook shelf, but I'm looking forward to making as many of the recipes as I can over the next several weeks.


Tonight:
Sauteed chicken breasts with tarragon
Essentially chicken breasts dusted with sweet paprika & curry powder then pan-seared.  Sauce is shallots cooked in butter deglazed with wine and chicken broth with more butter & tarragon stirred in at the end.  Tarragon is one of those flavors that I like only occasionally, since I feel lukewarm about licorice-type flavors.  I was a little skeptical of what sounded like a very French sauce in combination with paprika & curry powder, but the more I ate of this the more I loved it.  This had spectacular layers of flavor for the time it took - will definitely add this to the weeknight rotation.


Summer vegetable gratin 
Deceptively simply.  Layers of thinly cut (~1/4") squash, zucchini, Roma tomatoes, and Japanese eggplant, all layered with breadcrumbs and Asiago cheese and plenty of salt, on a bed of sauteed onions and garlic.  All roasted for fifty minutes at 350 degrees.  Probably some of the best vegetables I've ever had.  This will definitely be a repeater.

Other recipes I'm looking forward to trying out: 
  • Buttermilk fried chicken
  • Braised beef short ribs
  • Meatballs with pappardalle
  • Crispy fried fish
  • Heirloom bean and escarole soup
  • Leek bread pudding
  • Scallion potato cakes
  • Brioche



No comments:

Post a Comment