It's let's-try-to-pare-down-our-food-budget week at Theohaus, which means that I'm trying to stack recipes with overlapping ingredients to cut down on our food waste. Since I can never manage to use a whole can of chipotles at once, that means we have several Mexican/Southwestern-inspired recipes coming up, so that I can look forward to some Chipotle Meatballs from Rick Bayless (via Elise at Simply Recipes.)
Now that the temperature has dropped a little, it's chili weather. This is the only vegetarian chili I have ever made more than once. It's quick (~30 minutes), filling, quite tasty, and reheats well. It also sneaks in a fair bit of vegetables and healthy grains to undo the Chuy's damage from last night. I usually make this when I have guacamole lying around (especially if it's THIS guacamole, which is worth making your whole house smell irreversibly of garlic for a week).
From Cooking Light:
Quick Vegetarian Chili
2 tsp canola oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper (or orange or yellow)
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
4.5 oz chopped green chiles
2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
1/4 cup water
15 oz black beans, drained
14.5 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute for 3 minutes. Add chili powder through green chiles and cook for 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with sour cream and tortilla chips.
No comments:
Post a Comment