Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Good (Bad) Excuse to Buy New Curry Powder

It had been a while since we did at-home Indian (I find it difficult to get motivated to cook Indian food as long as Sitar continues to offer the special combination for two), but when this month's Cooking Light featured a lentils and lamb recipe, I added it to my list.  The recipe calls for red curry powder, which of course the aforementioned lackluster Kroger did not stock.  They did, however, have hot Madras curry powder which I decided was a worthy substitute.  This recipe also features a whole jalapeno (seeds, ribs, and all) which I figured would put it right in our spiciness wheelhouse.    


After doing some further research: it appears that Kroger is probably off the hook.  Penzeys (also known as the spice mecca) does not sell anything labeled "red curry powder," so who could expect Kroger to?  (I will say that McCormick's - which Kroger stocks - DOES make a red curry powder but its ingredient list is a little vague. ) It seems that red curry powder includes actual powdered chiles (not the same as chilI powder) and additional cayenne pepper.   




The verdict:  flavors were excellent and nicely balanced, but this just did not have enough heat for me.  I am not sure how an entire (large!) jalapeno and generous addition of cayenne turned out so mild.   If I make this again, I will probably just sub in some red curry paste (suggested by some other reviewers on the CL site).


(from Cooking Light October 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment